Berkshire South Bridge Club to Reopen in Summer
AFTER LENGHTY DISCUSSIONS WITH THE ACBL, JANE AND I ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT OUR 13th YEAR OF MONDAY/THURSDAY SUMMER BRIDGE WILL BEGIN AT BERKSHIRE SOUTH REGIONAL COMMUNITY CENTER ON THURSDAY, MAY 27TH.
While we all recognize there are some risks involved in any group gathering, the precautions these clubs have taken have reduced those risks to a level that more and more players are finding acceptable. Hence, more and more clubs are opening every month.
Our current plan for the summer game includes the following steps to minimize the chance of infection:
- Sanitizing all tables and chairs prior to every game
- Requiring proof of full vaccination
- Wearing masks (mandatory), shields (optional)
- Limiting the number of tables to ensure proper social distancing
- Providing hand sanitizers at every table
- Not allowing food, but drinks are okay if in closed containers
- 72 hour quarantine of all bridge equipment after use
- Requiring that each bidding box be assigned to the same player for the entire game
You are well aware that the BSRCC venue has always been carefully maintained and immaculately clean, from its meeting rooms, to its A/C system to its restrooms and hallways. The community center staff has been trained to be even more careful as a result of the pandemic.
The ACBL plans to issue updated safety guidelines prior to the summer. We will adjust accordingly. In the meantime, they have been monitoring the open clubs very carefully, and will continue to do so. Obviously, we can not be 100% sure of the safety of any gathering. However, a careful review of the current and future situation has convinced me that the country is ready for open bridge now, and will be even more so by the summer. This opinion is shared by senior officials at the ACBL, as well as the many players who responded to my recent email. Hence, my decision to move forward with the summer.
In the meantime, stay safe and keep healthy.
Dan Philip (email@example.com)